Free First Saturdays
General admission is FREE on the first Saturday of every month! Come participate in our studio art project from 11 AM – 1 PM and visit exhibitions throughout the Museum.
Upcoming Free First Saturdays are:
- May 4: April showers bring May 3D flower collages
- June 1: Spray bottle art
- July 6: En plein air painting in the Lyman Allyn gardens (weather permitting)
- August 3: Decorate a fan to beat the heat
- September 7: Sharpie tie dye t-shirt decorating
- October 5: Lyman Allyn’s 2nd annual Pick and Paint a pumpkin
- November 2: Fall luminary mason jars
- December 7: Snowstorm paintings
Free First Saturdays are made possible by Peoples United Bank.
This fun drop-in program encourages participants to explore the intersections between art and science. Each month features a different gallery learning session, mini-experiment and hands-on art project. STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics)-integrated fun at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum! All programs are free with Museum admission and run from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Upcoming Science Saturdays are:
- April 20: Celebrate Earth Day
- What better way to celebrate Earth Day than to learn about everyone’s favorite planet while creating your own Earth mobile using recyclable materials.
- May 18: You Spin Me Right Round
- See firsthand the physics behind the classic children’s toy, spinning tops. Participants will be able to make their own spinning top out of perler beads and then experiment with the concepts of angular momentum and gyroscopes as they watch their tops twirl.
- June 15: What is Density?
- Why are some liquids heavy while others are not? Come find out and make your own rainbow in a jar?
- July 20: Chameleon Camouflage
- Learn all about how animals protect themselves while creating your own camouflaged chameleon.
- August 17: Bouncy balls
- Come learn how polymers become elastomers when you create your very own bouncy ball.
- September 21: Black glue galaxies
- Blast off! Participants will study planets and stars as they design and decorate their own galaxy paintings using black glue and watercolors.
- October 19: Magnetic slime
- May the (magnetic) force be with you. Learn all about magnetism in this fun, sticky, and slimy workshop.
- November 16: Layers of the Earth
- How many layers does the Earth have? Learn all about it while decorating a ceramic bowl to match.
- December 21: Rainbow volcanoes
- Participants will learn about chemical reactions in this frozen rainbow eruption project.
Science Saturdays are made possible by Pfizer Inc. and Groton Laboratories.