Free First Saturdays
General admission is FREE on the first Saturday of every month! Come participate in our studio art project from 11 AM – 1 PM and visit exhibitions throughout the Museum.
Upcoming Free First Saturdays are:
- July 1: Painting en plein air (outdoors)
- August 5: 3D flower collages
- September 2: Decorate lanterns
- October 7: Watercolor spider webs
- November 4: Handprint trees
- December 2: Decorate snowflakes
Free First Saturdays are made possible by Peoples United Bank.
This fun drop-in program, designed for children ages 7-11, encourages participants to explore the intersections between art and science. Each month features a different gallery learning session, mini-experiment and hands-on art project. STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics)-integrated fun at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum! All programs are free with Museum admission and run from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Upcoming Science Saturdays are:
- July 15: Life cycle of a butterfly
- In this workshop, participants will learn about the stages a caterpillar takes to become a butterfly while decorating their own 3D mesh butterfly.
- August 19: Glow in the dark bouncy balls
- Learn all about chemical reactions while making your very own bouncy ball!
- September 16: Helicopter Pinwheels
- Learn all about gravity and air resistance while decorating your very own pinwheel.
- October 21: Ocean Zones
- In this workshop, participants will learn about the 5 zones of the ocean and the different sea creatures that live within each zone.
- November 18: Popsicle stick catapults
- Do you know the difference between stored, potential and kinetic energy? Learn all about them while creating your own catapult!
- December 16: How Arctic animals stay warm
- How do penguins and polar bears stay warm during the winter? Come find out during this fun, interactive workshop.
Science Saturdays are made possible by Pfizer Inc. and Groton Laboratories.