Free First Saturdays
General admission is FREE on the first Saturday of every month! Come participate in our studio art project from 11 AM – 1 PM and visit exhibitions throughout the Museum.
Upcoming Free First Saturdays are:
- October 7: Carnival Masks
- November 4: Handprint trees
- December 2: Decorate snowflakes
- January 6: Make and decorate your own icicles
- February 3: Decorate a tote bag for your Valentine
- March 3: Bubble Printing
- April 7: Create your own spring tree luminary mason jar
- May 5: Decorate flower pots
- June 2: Create your own flower panel
Free First Saturdays are made possible by Peoples United Bank.
This fun drop-in program, designed for children ages 7-11, encourages participants to explore the intersections between art and science. Each month features a different gallery learning session, mini-experiment and hands-on art project. STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics)-integrated fun at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum! All programs are free with Museum admission and run from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Upcoming Science Saturdays are:
- October 21: Ocean Zones
- In this workshop, participants will learn about the 5 zones of the ocean and the different sea creatures that live within each zone.
- November 18: Popsicle stick catapults
- Do you know the difference between stored, potential and kinetic energy? Learn all about them while creating your own catapult!
- December 16: How Arctic animals stay warm
- How do penguins and polar bears stay warm during the winter? Come find out during this fun, interactive workshop.
- January 20: Engineering Instruments
- Use your engineering skills to make your own instrument inspired by our exhibition On Another Note.
- February 17: Outer Space Sun Catchers
- Learn all about the Solar System while creating your own planetary sun catchers.
- March 17: Baking Powder vs. Vinegar
- See if there is a pot of gold at the end of your rainbow while you learn about chemical reactions in this frozen rainbow eruption project.
- April 21: Build-a-Kaleidoscope
- Learn about light and prisms while decorating your own kaleidoscope.
- May 19: Cubic Bubbles
- Put your design skills to the test as you learn about tensile structures while creating a 3-D bubble wand.
- June 16: Sun Art
- Explore the concept of diffusion with watercolor sun prints in this fun, interactive workshop held outside in the Museum’s gardens (weather permitting).
Science Saturdays are made possible by Pfizer Inc. and Groton Laboratories.