Welcome, Parents and Children
With free admission for children under 12, the Lyman Allyn is a perfect family outing! Discover the Museum with fun and educational activities designed for children ages 5 and up all year round. Explore the galleries and our outdoor sculpture trail featuring 10 large scale works surrounded by 11 acres of gardens and lawns.
Before you visit the Museum
- Learn about exhibitions that will be on view during your visit that might interest you and your family.
- Discuss with your children what they might expect to see in an art museum.
- Talk about Museum rules with your child.
- Consider attending our Free First Saturday & Science Saturday programs.
Thoughts for looking at art as a family
- Find a work of art that interests you both. Ask questions such as: What do you see first? Was it an object or color that attracted your attention? Where did your eyes go next?
- Discover the artwork by looking carefully. Ask your children to list the colors they see, and the materials the artist used.
- Take a seat on the gallery benches and look at artwork together.
- The Lyman Allyn is filled with beautiful architectural details! On the exterior of the building explore the columns and the three large medallions above the entrance. Once inside the museum lobby ask your children what they see. How many arch ways can you count? Can you find the acorns at the tops of the columns? Did you know the acorn is a symbol of prosperity? What’s decorating the ceiling, do the squares around it remind you of anything? That design is called dentil crown molding because it looks like teeth!
- I Spy with my artistic eye! Upon your arrival, ask the Museum Attendant where you can locate I Spy material.
- Inspire creativity! If this painting had a voice what sound would it make? What would it be like to be “inside” this painting? Can you tell me a story to go with this painting?
- Read the wall label. What title would you give this artwork? Why do you think the artist chose this subject?
Strollers and coat check
Baby strollers are permitted in all museum galleries. Backpacks and large satchels must be left in the coat room.