Through April 12, 2009
Charles Chi-Jung Chu (1918-2008) was a master painter, calligrapher, scholar and professor emeritus of Chinese at Connecticut College. Chu was a highly respected and beloved member of the Southeastern Connecticut community. He was a professor at Connecticut College for 19 years and was responsible for introducing the study of Mandarin Chinese to the campus in 1965. Charles Chu was as well known for his landscape watercolors as he was for his whimsical painted depictions of the college campus and of the college’s camel mascot.
As a tribute to the life and creativity of Charles Chu, the Museum, along with the Departments of Art History and Architectural Studies and the Charles E. Shain Library, will co-sponsor two special exhibitions of paintings by Charles Chu. The artworks in the exhibitions will be on loan from the private collections of Connecticut College faculty, staff, alumni and members of the New London community.
Remembering Charles Chu: A Special Exhibition of Love and Friendship will be on view in the Chu Reading Room at the Connecticut College Library through April 20, 2009.
Exhibition Guest Curator Professor Qiang Ning is the Chu-Niblack Associate Professor of Asian Art and Curator of the Chu-Griffis Collection of Asian Art at Connecticut College.