Free First Saturdays
General admission is FREE on the first Saturday of every month! Come participate in our studio art project from 11 AM – 1 PM and visit exhibitions throughout the Museum.
Upcoming Free First Saturdays are:
- July 7: Coffee filter butterflies
- August 4: Painting en plein air
- September 1: Bubble printing
- October 6: Paint a pumpkin
- November 3: Tiffany-inspired stained glass project
- December 1: Winter ornament decorating
Free First Saturdays are made possible by Peoples United Bank.
This fun drop-in program, designed for children ages 7-11, encourages participants to explore the intersections between art and science. Each month features a different gallery learning session, mini-experiment and hands-on art project. STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics)-integrated fun at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum! All programs are free with Museum admission and run from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Upcoming Science Saturdays are:
- June 16: Sun Art
- Explore the concept of diffusion with watercolor sun prints in this fun, interactive workshop held outside in the Museum’s gardens (weather permitting).
- July 21: How Shocking!
- Have you ever accidentally shocked yourself or a family member? How does that happen? Come participate in this fun static electricity experiment where children will “charge” a balloon and magically make butterfly wings flutter up and down.
- August 18: In a Galaxy Far Far Away
- What is a galaxy? What are they made of and how old are they? Learn all of that and more as you create your own galaxy in a jar.
- September 15: Skewer Structures
- Using only clay and bamboo skewers, participants will be challenged to use their engineering skills to create a structure that can stay standing.
- October 20: Coloring Changing Slime
- Make your own coloring changing slime while learning all about thermochromism, or what happens to colors when there is a change in temperature.
- November 17: Magnet Painting
- Using magnets and various metal objects like springs, screws, and washers, participants will create their own piece of contemporary art while learning about magnetism.
- December 15: Do You Wanna Build A Snowman?
- Discover what snow is, what causes snow to form, and why it snows in this fun, interactive workshop where participants will be able to make their very own snowstorm in a jar.
Science Saturdays are made possible by Pfizer Inc. and Groton Laboratories.