We are closely monitoring the increase in COVID-19 cases in New London County. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to cancel private art lessons through the end of December/early January. We intend to resume in-person lessons on January 12. However, please note that this is subject to change in order to stay aligned with the State of Connecticut’s health and safety guidelines. Check back often for updates!
Lessons will be available Tuesday-Friday and scheduled within the museum’s normal business hours. Lessons will also be offered on Saturdays from 10:00 am-3:30 pm. Parents can choose either a 45, 60, or 90-minute lesson for their child(ren). Timeslots are on a first come, first serve basis and we will be adhering to a 30 minute break between lessons so staff can clean the art studio. Families who are comfortable with their children being together can partake in group lessons, but each lesson is limited to 6 children.
Private lessons are geared towards children ages 4-12.
- 45 minutes lesson:* $12.00 per child
- 60 minute lesson: $14.00 per child
- 90 minute lesson: $18.00 per child
E-mail Caitlin Healy, Director of Education, at email@example.com for scheduling and to inquire about sibling discounts.
*45 minute lessons can be taught virtually, but there is a three lesson minimum in order to do so. Lyman Allyn educators will put together an art kit with the materials necessary for all of the lessons. Art kits are to be picked up at the museum prior to the start of lessons. We cannot accommodate mailing art kits at this time.
Lesson themes will be based off on permanent and temporary exhibitions on view at the museum and can be designed and customized to fit the age and interests of the participant(s).
Health rules & guidelines
- Instructors will wear masks at all times. Per Lyman Allyn protocol, participants ages 6+ are required to wear masks when not in the art studio.
- Before entering the building, participants and staff will have their temperature checked using an infra-red, touchless thermometer. Participants and staff must agree to go home if their temperature reads as 100.4 F or greater. We will also be screening all children and staff for any noticeable illness, including coughing and respiratory distress.
- All participants and staff will be required to practice enhanced hand washing and health practices throughout the day.
- Each participant will be given their own art supply kit to use– no sharing! Kits will include a plastic smock, scissors, pencils, markers, etc. We will be requiring staff and participants to adhere to cleanliness policies including wiping down surfaces, art supplies and smocks after each lesson ends. The art studio will be thoroughly cleaned between lessons for new participants.