Let’s draw, paint, collage, sculpt and have fun! Create art like you see at the Museum in our engaging private art lesson workshops geared towards children ages 4-12.
Private art lessons allow children to explore their creative side while learning new art-making techniques and skills. Participants spend time observing works of art in the Museum galleries and then take that inspiration back to the studio to create their own artwork.
- Lessons are available Tuesday – Friday 10 am – 5 pm and Saturdays 10 am – 3:30 pm.
- Parents can choose either a 45, 60, or 90-minute lesson for their child(ren).
- Time slots are on a first come, first served basis. There is a 30-minute break between lessons to allow staff time to clean the art studio.
- Families who are comfortable with their children participating together can schedule group lessons, but each lesson is limited to 6 children.
Private lessons are geared towards children ages 4-12.
- 45 minutes lesson:* $12 per child
- 60 minute lesson: $14 per child
- 90 minute lesson: $18 per child
Email Sophia Gipstein Scirico, Interim Director of Education, to register and inquire about sibling discounts.
*45 minute lessons can be taught virtually, but there is a three lesson minimum in order to do so. Lyman Allyn educators will put together an art kit with the materials necessary for all of the lessons. Art kits are to be picked up at the museum prior to the start of lessons.
Lesson themes are based off of permanent and temporary exhibitions on view at the Museum and can be designed and customized to fit the age and interests of the participant(s).
Health rules & guidelines
- Instructors will wear masks at all times. Per Lyman Allyn protocol, participants ages 6+ are required to wear masks when not in the art studio.
- Before entering the building, participants and staff will have their temperature checked using an infra-red, touchless thermometer. Participants and staff must agree to go home if their temperature reads as 100.4 F or greater. We will also be screening all children and staff for any noticeable illness, including coughing and respiratory distress.
- All participants and staff will be required to practice enhanced hand washing and health practices throughout the day.
- Each participant will be given their own art supply kit to use– no sharing! Kits will include a plastic smock, scissors, pencils, markers, etc. We will be requiring staff and participants to adhere to cleanliness policies including wiping down surfaces, art supplies and smocks after each lesson ends. The art studio will be thoroughly cleaned between lessons for new participants.