Inspired by the book Henri’s Scissors by Jeanette Winter, this project allows artists at home to create their own abstract cut-out masterpiece.
- Construction paper in a variety of colors and sizes (larger paper is best for the background)
- Glue stick, or tape
- Henri’s Scissors by Jeanette Winter (optional)
- With adult permission, readings of Henri’s Scissors are available on YouTube and can be used as an additional introduction to this project.
- Select the background color, we kept it simple with one black and one white, but the decision is up to the artist!
- Using a pencil, draw a variety of abstract shapes. The age of the artists, and their confidence with scissors will influence how large or small these shapes are. Older artists can challenge themselves to create more intricate designs using more complicated shapes, or smaller pieces.
- Once all the shapes are cut out, glue or tape them to the background paper to create a unique design and final masterpiece.