As summer approaches, take inspiration from photographers of the past. Ansel Adams spent his life exploring the Unites States, photographing national parks and helping the public realize how beautiful our country is. Spending most of his time in Yosemite National Park in California, Adams photographs are known around the world and have inspired generations of travelers and photographers.
A camera (whatever you have at home will work just fine)
- Computer (optional if you would like to upload your photos and use computer editing tools to add details).
- On your next walk around the neighborhood, time spent outside, or a hike at a state park, bring along a camera to help capture the nature around you.
- Ansel Adams focused on light in his photographs, pay attention to what time of day you are photographing, and even try capturing the same subject at various points during the day.
- If you can upload the photos to a computer, or want to leave them on your smartphone, play around with editing tools. Adams worked primarily in black and white, so try transforming your own color landscapes into a black and white image and see how the two versions compare.
- Photographer tip: For every one good photograph, there are many others that were not chosen. Take several photographs of the same subject, adjusting your body and camera position, you can select your favorite photo after to edit!