The museum’s hands-on art camps, designed for aspiring artists ages 5-15, provide a wonderful opportunity for children and teens to learn new artistic techniques and explore the collections. In addition to completing weekly themed projects, participants will also paint outside in the museum’s garden, develop a portfolio and tour special summer exhibitions.
- Session #1: Ahoy! Pirates, Mermaids, and Creatures of the Deep (ages 5-7)
- Monday, July 6 – Friday, July 10
- After daily eye-spy tours, participants will explore creatures of the deep as they practice watercolor painting, build 3D sea creatures, and design treasure chests.
- Session #2: Let’s Go On An Adventure: Art from Around the World (ages 5-7)
- Monday, July 13 – Friday, July, 17
- Participants will learn about art and culture from across the globe as they create their very own Japanese fish prints, Italian frescos, Tibetan sand mandalas, and Native American totem poles.
- Session #3: Full STEAM Ahead (ages 8-11)
- Monday, July 20 – Friday, July 24
- Join us for a fun-filled week of exploration and innovation while honing your STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) skills! Working both individually and as a team, participants will spend the week constructing pendulums for painting, growing their own crystals, and experimenting with color theory.
- Session #4: Exploring Portraits and Landscapes (ages 8-11)
- Monday, July 27 – Friday, July 31
- Participants will design and create a variety of 2D and 3D portraits, and learn how to develop landscape composition from both memory and en plein air (outdoors).
- Session #5: Advanced Art Salon (ages 12-15)
- Monday, August 3 – Friday, August 7
- Throughout the week, students will learn from visiting local artists and complete projects designed to expand their artistic talents. In the past, participants have explored shading and perspective through charcoal drawing, studied painting composition, and mastered positive/negative space through sculpture construction. *Check back closer to start date for a list of artists and projects*
Sessions are designed for children ages 5-15. Snack will be provided every day at 10:00 am. Participants will need to bring their own lunch (no nuts of any kind, please!).
Sessions are limited to 12 children each. Space is limited, and advanced reservations are required. For more information or to register your child, please call 860.443.2545 ext. 2110 or email the Education Department.
Time: All classes are held Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-1:00 pm
Cost: $170 per child member / $190 per child non-member
Signing up more than one child? Take advantage of our sibling discount! $150 for 2nd member child / $170 for 2nd non-member child.
Materials are provided for all workshops. Please dress for mess!
Drop-Off and Pick-Up
All workshops meet and depart from the museum lobby. Please accompany your child to and from the lobby each day.