August 14, 2018
Lyman Allyn Art Museum
Press Contact: Rebecca Marsie, Director of Communications
860.443.2545 x2112 / [email protected]

Gallery To Feature Three Ecclesiastical Stained Glass Windows From Early 20th Century

New London – The Lyman Allyn Art Museum will open a new permanent exhibit this October, dedicated to the life and works of American artist and designer, Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848 – 1943), who was best known for his innovative work with stained glass. The installation will feature three newly conserved stained glass windows which were commissioned in the early 1900s to memorialize loved ones in New London.

The collection, which will showcase never before exhibited objects (many of which came from the artist’s descendants), will illustrate Tiffany’s early career as a painter, then show his work as an interior designer, and tell the story of his innovations and success as a glassmaker. With items both from the museum’s collection and on loan, the exhibit will include nearly 100 pieces of decorative arts and fine arts objects including a range of windows, lamps, paintings, period photographs, furniture, metalworks, glass samples and finished Favrile glass vessels, as well as jewelry and adornments. The works will be displayed in the museum’s Chappell Gallery, a 1,070 square foot space devoted to the artist.

“Louis Comfort Tiffany is known as one of the most creative and versatile artists of his era. This new exhibit which provides a comprehensive and insightful look at his many works and the range of cultural influences he experienced, allows us to tell a rich story about his life and career,” stated Museum Director, Sam Quigley. “We are thrilled to join the ranks of noteworthy institutions such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art,  The Corning Museum of Glass and the Morse Museum in Florida, that offer a focused collection from this very important artist,” he added.

Much of Tiffany’s success was driven by technical innovations in blown and stained glass. As such, the exhibit will present the creativity, history, and artistry that Tiffany and his craftspeople used to create vivid new effects in glass. They made multi-colored iridescent surfaces and deep colors, textures, and other effects to make the glass itself mimic the versatility of a painted canvas. This type of iridescent glass with distinctive coloring in which the color is ingrained in the glass itself became known as Favrile glass. Tiffany patented the process in 1894 and first produced the glass for manufacture in Queens, New York in 1896.

The museum will also provide several short and informative videos which explore Tiffany family history, the patronage of Tiffany windows and the conservation and preservation of the windows installed in the gallery. The videos will be created by Todd Gipstein, an award winning writer, photographer, and producer whose work has been featured in National Geographic.

Following the opening of the exhibit, the museum will launch a lecture series in November, 2018. The series will be kicked off with a presentation focused around Agnes Northrop, a noted independent female designer for Tiffany Studios. The lecture will be delivered by renowned Tiffany expert and author Alice Cooney Frelinghuysen, the Andrew W. and Lulu C. Wang Curator of American Decorative Arts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

“A wide range of cultural influences informed the art and design of the Gilded Age, bringing objects, designs, and ideas from around the world to America and to this region,” noted Tanya Pohrt, Special Project Curator. “Tiffany’s fascination with the art and culture of the middle east and the far east illustrates the global and cosmopolitan nature of American art and design in this era,” she added.

Some notable pieces to be displayed in the upcoming exhibit include the Dragonfly Lamp, ca 1906. Tiffany Studios, designed by Clara Driscoll, as well as two stained glass windows from the Frank Loomis Palmer (1851-1917) Mausoleum, Cedar Grove Cemetery, New London. River of Life window, probably J & R Lamb Studios, ca. 1904-1910, and Saint Cecilia window, Tiffany Studios, ca. 1913.

Today, the Tiffany family name is most commonly associated with Tiffany & Co., a prestigious American luxury jewelry and specialty retailer, founded in New York in 1837 by Louis Comfort’s father, Charles L. Tiffany. By the 1870s and 1880s, Tiffany & Co. was the world’s premier source for luxury goods, serving royalty and the wealthy industrialists who led America’s Gilded Age. Tiffany’s son, Louis Comfort Tiffany established his own firms specializing in arts and decorative glass. His firm designed interiors and furnishing for many notable clients including President Chester Arthur’s White House and Mark Twain’s mansion. Later following the death of Charles Lewis Tiffany in 1902, the younger Tiffany stepped in, becoming primary shareholder and design director at Tiffany & Co., a title he held until 1919.

Tiffany in New London will be open to the public beginning Sunday, October 21 at 1:00pm. Museum admission is $10 for adults and $7 for seniors and students; children under 12 and New London residents are free.

Tours of the exhibition are available for groups. To schedule tours, call the Education Department at 860-443-2545, ext. 2110 or e-mail [email protected]. For more information or images, please contact Rebecca Marsie at 860.443.2545 ext.2112 or at [email protected].

About Lyman Allyn Art Museum

The Lyman Allyn Art Museum welcomes visitors from New London, southeastern Connecticut and all over the world. Established in 1926 by a gift from Harriet Allyn in memory of her seafaring father, the Museum opened the doors of its beautiful neo-classical building surrounded by 12 acres of green space in 1932. Today it presents a number of changing exhibitions each year and houses a fascinating collection of over 17,000 objects from ancient times to the present; artworks from Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe, with particularly strong collections of American paintings, decorative arts and Victorian toys and doll houses. Tiffany in New London is part of the museum’s revitalization initiative, which includes the recently completed reinstallation of highlights the Museum’s permanent collection, the replacement of the building’s HVAC system, and the future improvements to its 12 acres of green space.

The museum is located at 625 Williams Street, New London, Connecticut, exit 83 off I-95. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sundays 1:00 – 5:00 pm; closed Mondays and major holidays. For more information call 860.443.2545, ext. 2129 or visit us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or the web at:

Translate »